I have more than 15 years of experience as a writer and editor for major print and online publications, focusing on food, nutrition, and health. Covering these topics was what made me decide to become a nutritionist, and now I'm fortunate to split my time between journalism and nutrition-related work, and even bridge the two fields in my podcast.
I've worked as an editor at several magazines and websites, including Gourmet (2007-2009), CHOW (2006-2007), and Plenty (2004-2007). My freelance writing and editing clients have included Refinery29, The Food Network, Slate, Allrecipes, Buzzfeed, Epicurious, Redbook, Sterling Epicure Publishing, and many more.
I've also edited books including Modernist Cuisine, a six-volume, 2,400-page culinary arts textbook that received numerous awards, including the James Beard for Cookbook of the Year (2012). I recently worked as an editor on the MC team's forthcoming book about the art and science of bread.
Selected examples of my writing and editing work:
- [Writing] Refinery29: How to Make Peace with Sugar
- [Writing] Epicurious: How to Eat With Diabetes—and Still Love Your Food
- [Writing] Refinery29: The Truth About Your Sparkling Water Obsession
- [Writing] Refinery29: Is THIS Why You Feel So Bloated?
- [Writing] Refinery29: Why Your Sugary Breakfast Isn't "Bad"
- [Editing] Modernist Bread: The Art and Science (Amazon Affiliates link)
- [Writing] Refinery29: Why You Shouldn’t Fear Carbs
- [Writing] Buzzfeed: Writing About Food Helped Me Beat My Eating Disorder
- [Writing] Refinery29: Why Detox Diets and Cleanses Always Fail
- [Writing] Refinery29: The Truth About Gluten Sensitivity That No One Wants To Hear
- [Writing] Refinery29: Why You Shouldn't Worry About Gaining Weight On Vacation
- [Writing] Refinery29: These 7 New Tips Could Change How You Eat
- [Writing] Refinery29: The REAL Truth About Clean Eating
- [Writing] Food Network: Eating for Your Microbiome (Trigger warning [TW] for readers with disordered eating)
- [Writing] Food Network: Saturated Fat: Facts vs. Fiction (TW)
- [Editing] Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking (Amazon Affiliates link)
- [Writing] Grist: Protein: How much do we need? (TW)
- [Writing] Grist: Deep impact: The toll your protein takes on the Earth (TW)
- [Writing] Redbook: Should We Worry About School Lunches? (TW)
- [Editing] Slate: Leave the Fat Kids Alone
- [Editing] White Jacket Required: A Culinary Coming-of-Age Story
- [Writing] CHOW: Counter Measures: Ten Ways to Green Your Kitchen
- [Writing] PLENTY: Beyond bread: Why are gluten-free products crowding supermarket shelves? (TW)
- [Editing] PLENTY: Waste not, want not: Urban dumpster divers take recycling to new level